Loadaverages of over 1 usually mean lag in my experience - when at dual
CPU's, 2 would be the upper limit, so that would suggest your hardware isn't
fast enough...

But what hardware are we talking about? I may have missed something here,
but I think I didn't see what hardware you're running on. ;-)

To tell for sure what you can expect from your box would be knowing

CPU/RAM
Linux Kernel Version
InetConnection
How many Players

To compare with, I run a DoD Source server
Dual PIII 1.133MHz
2GB Memory
Kernel 2.4.something
100Mbit Full Duplex
20 Players max.

It's not very fast, but it still manages. Just haven't realy seen it's
performance lately under 20/20 users, since it attrackts to little players
currently.

So what in your eyes isn't "realy strong"?

Cheers
Fox.