I would sure hope there testing with just stock hl2dm/css/dods etc.
There is no need to use addons. There was none to use at its first
inception. Because no one had the SDK.

And thats the only way there going to know if it will work on
linux/windows. Is by itself.
It up to the addon developer to figure out how to add his mod.

One thing does confuse me a bit -- when you guys at
Valve are running internal game-play tests, do you only ever play with
stock-standard css?

Why should they let them know, its not there problem. Its a third
party mod. Not support by Valve. Do you realize there may be 30 plus
addons out there.

I would rather have Valve just worry about making sure updates work,
and not the addons.

Support falls on the creator of those addons to fix the problem after
the update has been released to the public, if they choose too.

If not, and if you know the update stops one of
those mods from working, perhaps a "heads up" to the mods you also use
would be a nice thing to do? Something along the lines of: "sorry guys,
hope you're not busy this weekend..." would probably do.

Apart from that, meh... change happens. The update itself is really very
good.