[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]
I dont think that fixing the netcode is just that simple.
Its something naturally, like if you would say stop the wind blowing.
If you play on the internet, there will be always a latency, and an amount of
lag, wich must be corrected somehow. The server collects infos from the
players, calculates the new world frame, and then sends it back to the users,
in updates. All the steps of this needs time, and this time is latency, that
must be corrected. Since all net-connections are different, there must be a
buffer, to collect, correct, and then display changes. Therefore, a perfect
hitreg will never be, with this system.
Of course, they could make client side hitreg, where if you someone, the hit
info sent by your client to the server, that it must be a hit. But it would
make impossible, to filter out cheaters, since anyone could send false hitreg
updates, with a cheat, or even if there is a client side anticheat, from a 3rd
computer.
This is not just a problem, where we can say, that 'Valve fix it asap!'. Try
explain them how...
Locutus
Michael McKoy írta:

Wouldn't fixing netcode be a Source engine issue, not just a CS:S issue?
Then it effects every game built on the engine, and would have a benefit
for all mods or licensed users of the engine. Better netcode would be a
selling point, so you could say they would make money since it improves
EVERY source game.

Maybe I'm wrong though, maybe the netcode isn't directly in the source
engine?

He might have elaborated on what specs his machines have, but yes, I
agree it's a quality post.

However, I doubt Valve is going to answer. We on this list know only too
well what happened to our pleas for 64-bit support. (Does anybody have
access to the Bellevue area sewer system?) Plus, I'm not sure they get
any money if their game is played on LAN parties (or do they? Can
somebody clarify? Thanks), so I doubt this is a high-stakes-if-ignored
problem.

~~ Ondra

Cc2iscooL wrote:

Thanks for the link...quality post.

Just hope that when (if) Valve fixes the netcode that they don't further
increase load on the servers, it's high enough as it is.