Most likely this will end up being client side instead of a server side
requirement.  Steam wouldn't require the servers to host the
advertisements as this would add more load to our bandwidth for their
advertisements.  If they did, they would be required to compensate
server hosts for the bandwidth they are going to be using for their
profit.  Additionally, they would be liable for hosting advertisements
geared to competitors.  The advertisements will probably be geared to
newer games to help boost slowing sales.  This can be very beneficial to
server hosts who offer those games, it could potentially mean more
sales.  The way I read the article it will be sort of like a spray on
the wall.  No different then some clown coming into your servers and
spraying his company banner while he plays.  These will not be pop up
ads or scrolling messages (like amx or amxmodx).  I mean it is like
walking through Germany today and looking at the side of a building and
seeing an advertisement for the clothing store down the street, you
don't think twice of it, it is part of your everyday life.  I do feel
that Valve should allow host providers to add they own ads in their own
server as well.  Although I am not a promoter of the idea, it can be
done very tactfully and if in game advertisements, helps to lower the
cost of the game purchases then I am all for it.  The cheaper the game,
the more who buy it, the more people playing on your servers.  I think
this would only be successful if they allowed hosts to add their
advertisements and they off set it by lowering the cost of new games to
the market.

Xavier
Mainstream Gaming

Saint K. wrote:
interview: advertisements coming to cs

In-game advertisements are coming to Counter-Strike 1.6. Go ahead and let
that sink in a bit. CS-Nation has the exclusive first interview with
Valve's
Doug Lombardi about this upcoming addition into the Counter-Strike world.
 CS-Nation: Many gamers who play CS 1.6 purchased the retail version. CS:
Source was sold as part of the Half-Life 2 package. How do you think
gamers
who purchase your products will react to in-game ads?

 Doug Lombardi: We believe that gamers are going to expect and accept
well-done advertising in games. We want to make sure that advertising
does
not detract from the game experience, so it is our hope that first time
Counter-Strike purchasers will consider it simply as part of the game
world.
There are three information packed pages to this interview. Go ahead and
give it a gander and voice your opinions in the comment section.

Hey permanent screw heads. Your going to pay for my fucking server
when you
put up ads in it? Get bloody real!

This SO pisses me off. We do all the fuckin work of hosting YOUR GAME
on OUR
SERVERS for fucking FREE and you are now going to use it as advertisement
base?

What the bloody fucking hell is wrong with you people?

Forgive me for all the swearing, but i basicly feel like i've been
fucked up
the ass with a giant baseball batt.

We pay the cost for the server hardware, we pay the costs for the
bandwith
and propper server locations, and your gettin all the money of it?

If we put up some ads in our server to help fund it you go all wah wah
treadning with lawsuites 'n shit, and now your pulling the very same
shit,
by putting the ads in, and taking money out of our own hands. Meaning we
have to pay even more cause we wont attrackt our own advertisers
anymore due
to this shit?

What a bunch of crap shit this is.

Saint K.