On 6/8/07, Guy Watkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I think the beta client is also needed.  But going from memory!  I never
tried it.

I spent a bit of time digging around the list archives earlier today
to interpret exactly what "beta client" entails.  At first I thought
it was extra parameters to starting hl2/css but you actually need to
throw "-beta srcds0407" at steam.exe itself, and not just your hl2/css
startup parameters.

For example, here is how I had to start up steam to get the beta client going:

C:\Steam\Steam.exe -beta srcds0407

It worked perfectly for me after that and I am thoroughly stoked about
preventing texture/model hackers on my server as soon as this update
goes live!  Of course, we're still scrambling around figuring out what
to do about the imminent demise of Mani but that's another topic for
another thread...

Hope this helps some others like myself who felt like noobs not
knowing how to run your Steam client in beta! ;)