I have had troubles to run the steambinary in FreeBSD since 5.x.

Some things to check:
What kernelversion are you using in the linuxulator? It might be something
missing in the linuxulator. Try both 2.4.2 and 2.6.18 ( Dont remember if
it is .18, you might want to check that out first )

I'm currently using the following:
linux_base-fc-4_10  Base set of packages needed in Linux mode (for i386/amd64)

compat.linux.osrelease: 2.4.2

Also are you using SMP? I have troubles running the steambinary when SMP
is enabled. Same machine without the SMP, it runs OK. At least that was
the issue when I tried it with 5.x, but that was million of years ago.

No, I am not using SMP.  It is a dual core chip.

I use a central server to check out everything from steam. That server is
running FreeBSD 4.11. Then I just make a gzipped tarball out of the
changes and push the data out to the servers. A little primitive, but it
works. Plus I can do a rollback if necissary.

All my other machines work fine, except this one.  I was hoping for a
simple solution. :(

Patrick