While I definitely see room for improvement, I don't see it as an "abject
failure", and actually like the matchmaking as better way to handle a game
where you will have so few players.  However, I've had no issues whatsoever
creating games with friends, and playing games on my own servers.  I
understand many other people have, but I would not consider it a majority,
as people who aren't having issues aren't likely to say anything.