Hi.

I just described the steps I took to solve the crashing servers. There
might be other ways, but I described how I did and shared it with the rest
of the community, since noone else have reported anything else.

I upgraded to the latest FreeBSD in the stable branch (RELENG_7) to get as
much of the 2.6.16 work into the system. There have been a lot of work
going on since 7.0-RELEASE. Atm RELENG_7 gives FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE.

You could try with linux_base-f8 which is the supported version for
2.6.16. But I dont want 10 dependencies extra on my system just to be able
to unpack the linux_base. With this setup I dont need any extra packages.

The linux_base-gentoo-stage3 in ports is at 2006.X and is quite old. So I
just took the latest one I could find. Hopefully there have been some
fixes in the gentoo linux during the last two years. I also do some extra
steps that is not done in the port.

I rarely have any problems on upgrading the system remotely. There are
some things you need to look out for. Like:

- Dont use bash (or other 3rd party shells) as default login shell for
your user and root. They might point to a library that is not working
anymore.

- In fstab. Comment out everything that is target to linux. I have removed
linux_base and at boot it tries to mount linprocfs.

- To be safe. Comment out all extra services you start from rc.conf. We
want the system to boot up so we can login with ssh.

On our game system we only have sshd in addition to the actual game server
binary.

I have been upgrading FreeBSD remotely for over 10 years and almost never
encountered any problem. At work I can always connect through ILO to get
them up and running. I dont have that luxury on the game servers.

/Bjorn