I was able to run L4D on FreeBSD 7.1-prerelease with the linux_base-f8
port.

I don't run a public server, just one for friends.  I have issues with
the server with using -fork, but I'm guessing they're related to that
I haven't done enough research into how to properly configure it.

So, a single server, running, used occasionally.  I probably don't use
it enough to say whether or not it works well over time, but I suppose
I could just launch one open to the public and find out.

-Joe