I had a machine with 7.0 release (before upgrading it to 7.1) and when
running the l4d server, it would spit out a ton of messages to the
console that looked like this:

linux_sys_futex: unknown op 128
linux_sys_futex: unknown op 129

I forget if it was chewing up CPU time doing it, since the server was
empty, but it was a lot of stuff going right into the message log.
Upgrading to 7-stable fixed that.

So, far as I can tell, those two things (7.1-prerelease +
osrelease=2.6.16) are minimum demands.

-Joe