At 04:04 PM 1/20/2009, Matthias Bleile wrote:
>Hi everybody.
>
>So i wasted 1 week of free time and i still wasn't able to find out..
>
>We got a Intel Quad Core and 4 hlds Servers.
>Each server is assigned to 1 CPU using taskset.
>

>The Server assigned to CPU0 gives excellent performance, as seen here:
>http://fpsmeter.fragaholics.de/?load=hlds.84.201.7.34.27030.1232478679.session
>
>The Server assigned to CPU1 gives a slightly worse performance as seen here:
>http://fpsmeter.fragaholics.de/?load=hlds.84.201.7.34.27400.1232478412.session

cat /proc/interrupts. Probably sharing interrupts.

>The Server assigned to CPU2 gives MUCH worse performance as seen here:
>http://fpsmeter.fragaholics.de/index.php?load=hlds.84.201.7.34.27200.1232479691.session

Same. Turn off irqbalancing. It's useless and it doesn't do anything
but hurt gameserver hosting.

>Got no picture of CPU3 but believe me, its worth crying.
>I tried everything i could imagine.
>
>- 32Bit OS, 64Bit OS
>- Debian, Gentoo
>- hlds_i686, hlds_i486

i486 doesn't have XMM regs, nor does it have cmov (IIRC)

>- not used nice, used nice --20

Useless. It doesn't do what it used to, and

>- Kernel with full preemption
>- Kernel without any preemption, pure processing power.

Kind of useless, but can be useful in specific situations

>- Turned off Multicore Scheduling, turned back on.

Adds overhead to the scheduler

>- tried "tsc", "hpet" and "jiffies" as clocksource.

TSC is your best bet on intel, but HPET is overall the better choice.

>If i use Core1+2 its as bad as i use Core3.
>If i use Core2+3 its more 500FPS than 1000FPS....

You are probably running into power management issues, or SMI
interrupts causing pipeline stalls. Or you are just running into know
CPU errata :-)