Dear Valve,

1) The -NoQueuedPacketThread option is definitely still required to
avoid client timeout/drops, but it lags/stutters pretty badly, with
regular (every 30 secs or so) 1.5 and 2 second spikes, much more
noticeable than I was seeing with yesterday's build. This is on a server
with only me connected! I can't wait to see what it does with a load.

2) Disabling plugins (running beetlesmod here) does not improve anything.

3) Since yesterday's update, lots of concurrent mic usage would
disconnect several users simultaneously, apparently at random, and not
the yakkers themselves. I have never seen this before, but I don't know
if it's because of some new thread synch/race condition problem, or if
it's a previous problem exacerbated by it, or just something the monkeys
found (as one of the server admins put it). It's not a bandwidth problem
(dual 100mbps connection through NTT/Verio) and I haven't seen CPU above
80-85% of 1 CPU. (The server is alltalk and noisy.)

4) TF2 seems to be using considerably more CPU than it did a year ago.
Is this because of the new weapons and other code?

5) Do you need any information about the servers having the problem --
config files, system configurations, etc., or do you already have a
handle on what the problem is?

6) Does anyone want an account on this system to test with? No GUI, but
real programmers don't need that. Email me if so.

Tell Chet that Severian says hi, and to please come play some more after
the problem is sorted.

My config:
- RHE 5.2 on dual core, 2GB, dual 100mbps
- kernel release 2.6.18-92.el5

Thanks,
Sev
[PoE] Garbage Day, [PoE] Deke Lord Chet and the Glee Club