Why lock down those ports to specific master server or update server
IPs?  That really ties your hands if a server goes down or Valve decides
to change an IP address.

Master server traffic is UDP, but I think downloading updates is done
over TCP.  I have iptables rules on my game servers to allow the
following in and drop everything else:

TCP 27015 (for rcon)
UDP 1200
UDP 27000-27015

ICMP echo-request
ICMP echo-reply
ICMP destination-unreachable
ICMP time-exceeded

TCP ESTABLISHED/RELATED
UDP ESTABLISHED/RELATED

I don't block any outgoing traffic on these servers.  This setup works
very well for me and I never seem to have any connectivity problems.

     - Dave

Daniel Nilsson wrote:
> Im in progress of securing my debian box with some well formatted lines
> of rules. What i would like to do is the following.
>
> 1. Block everything in and out
> 2. Allow needed things in and out.
>
> Atm im allowing udp connections to my server for my clients. Tcp
> connection is only allowed if the source is correct. (for the stats and
> some more)
>
> But i have some problems. Update will not work, neither connection to
> the master server.
>
> So the question is what ip´s  does those update/masterservers have?
> And what ports do i need to open up so my server can be updated and
> connect to the master/update server?
> vac server ip?
> And also are those ip´s tcp or udp?
> More ip´s i need to open up against?
>

> //Daniel

> database 4706 (20091221) __________

> http://www.eset.com

Dave Parker
Utica College
Integrated Information Technology Services
(315) 792-3229
Registered Linux User #408177