The "protected" check is nothing else than a crc check to verify that
the server files are original. For example, it would filter/detect
nosteamservers too. It also checks for "bad" files by a list maintained
by ESL. These probably include any Admin mod, wich are in general not
liked to bee seen on a "war" server. But that´s just what i heard, maybe
somone else can tell more about the details.

Anyway, these whole ESL/GSP marketing with their nonsense EPS
(ESL-Proofed-Server) is only to find a reason to charge 50-60EUR for a
12+1 warserver because it has "1000FPS", and then proof their
performance by an EMPTY server metered via fpsmeter.org.
Also, when i last looked, this weird EPS markeing only appears in
Germany and France... the countries with the widest range of GSP
competitors in the EU, so no surprise that people come up with weird
marketing strategies.
http://www.esl.eu/de/gameserver_certificate/
http://www.esl.eu/fr/gameserver_certificate/