On 03.09.2010 16:40, Daniel Vogel wrote:
The old games were fast because the developers knew that they have to
run on a 128 MHz turbo processor, so they've made it performant.
Nowadays with the fancy 3,66 GHz machines developers don't think about
the performance that much anymore. If they need a feature they just
put it in, which wasn't thinkable in the quake days.
I wish everyone would just have those 33 ->  66 turbo processors again
so developers had to think more again about the performance...

It's kinda true because I still can't see what REAL difference in quake engine back then and current source engine in terms of performance. We still got Binary space partitioning maps, nothing like we got voxels or something like that for destructible maps.