On 11/15/2010 10:32 AM, Gary Stanley wrote:
At 06:37 AM 11/15/2010, Björn Rohlén wrote:
Instead of hiding the server_fps, it would be better to explain it in
detail.

-TheG
The server FPS is simply cycles / time, where time is from gettimeofday(), with some bounds on the minimum usleep so making the usleep actually less will crank up the server FPS (but not the simulation HZ, so the game isn't actually faster, for Source engine games).

I think that part of the explanation Björn would be looking for is what happens during a network frame and how it is different from what happens during a tick (aka, simulation hz).

My impression is that a frame simply represents the server accepting some UDP, determining whether it should run a tick, and then sleeping until the next frame, but I am curious if there's more (or less) to it.

-John