At 03:17 PM 11/15/2010, John wrote:

> I know this because the engine is based off of quake 3

Half-Life predates the release of quake3. From what Valve has previously said, the original GoldSrc engine was based off an improved quake and quake2 engine. Source and Orangebox have a significant amount of changes from GoldSrc.

But, what I said applies to all of these.

Actually, now that I think about it, the example I previously gave mainly applies to Source/OB. GoldSrc, quake-based games, and most games in general have a FPS that is directly tied to the tickrate, IIRC. On those, FPS dips would also represent tickrate dips.

-John

You're talking about sv_fps on the quake engines. sv_fps was used for the heartbeat of certain operations, ie: a sv_fps of 20 is 50ms heartbeats, and increasing the heartbeats caused the engine to screw up because most animations etc all depend on the heartbeats to be 50ms instead of 33.3 (for 30). I know all about this, well, because I used to be on the OSP team back in the day, so I know the engine quite extensively.