> I know this because the engine is based off of quake 3

Half-Life predates the release of quake3. From what Valve has previously said, the original GoldSrc engine was based off an improved quake and quake2 engine. Source and Orangebox have a significant amount of changes from GoldSrc.

But, what I said applies to all of these.

Actually, now that I think about it, the example I previously gave mainly applies to Source/OB. GoldSrc, quake-based games, and most games in general have a FPS that is directly tied to the tickrate, IIRC. On those, FPS dips would also represent tickrate dips.

-John