I am talking about the physical drive design.

You've led this off-track, then. Physical drive design does have a bearing on what I was saying.

I know how OS's work, btw.

So do I. But, neither of us knows everything.

If logging causes you performance.. problems, turn off logging? Stuff your logs into a socket? How about hack in a fix yourself with reverse engineering and .so's?

I don't think you read all of what I said, because I did my best to make this clear by emphasizing it a couple of times: A disk write can cause a long tick and trample FPS, *purely as an example*. Am I saying that this happens frequently to me? No. Am I saying that it's a big deal overall? No. It's just an example of something that would cause a long tick, on some rare occasion. You don't need to troubleshoot it unless you are personally seeing the issue.

I guess they could have a separate thread with an IPI-like that is only used for disk writes.

They could create a second thread/process for log writes, but they have indicated that they won't, and honestly, it's probably not worth their time to implement, when admins can already work around this by loading machines correctly and performing OS tweaks.

-John