If you really want to play 3 rounds per each side, just use mp_maxrounds 6 to get that result. When timelimit is reached, it usually ends current round all the time. Exceptions some CTF maps that last for ages. Personally i would set timelimit as a backup feature but rely on the map rounds and the times set in them.

Though i know that TC from UKCS has written his own plugins that achieve this feature that you are looking for but those are somewhat exclusive to servers he runs and not publicly available.

-ics