I'm not sure if you meant these as both questions for the FAQ and asking
them in general, or just the FAQ, but going by the tone of your post I'll
guess the fomer and help you out from what I've garnered from testing the
system thus far;

Recording of the replays by the server starts as soon as a player (bot or
human) connects to the server, and will seamlessly record everything until
the last player disconnects. When a client smashes all over F6 to get a
replay, the server simply correlates the time they were alive to the various
.block files and forks over a list of the appropriate files for the TF2
client to request from the web server. (Hence why unlike a demo recording,
you can watch from anyone's POV at any time, everything is recorded to the
files)

As for the duration of being able to download the files from the web server,
I tested whether least the client will keep intelligently trying
to acquire the files even across a game restart by starting the demo capture
when I spawned on the map, running around and doing things to be recorded
for about a minute, then jumping off the map. I hopped into the replay menu
in the client, and while it still stated 'Downloading...' I quite rudely
killed the apache process on the server as well as killing TF2 via
taskamanger @ the same time. I then restarted Steam, hopped back into TF2
and checked the replay menu. It still stated 'waiting..' so I fired the
apache process back up, and about 10 seconds later, the replay finished
downloading, error free. So it would seem the client will at least keep
trying, if there's a cap on that timer, I suppose Jon will need to answer
that one.