Friday updates are just stupid. They work for no one, and when things
go wrong (ie 20% of the time for actual updates), they're not fixed
until Monday. They work on the West Coast in the States, it isn't an
acceptable time for anyone in North America.

Apparently competitive TF2 is cared about by Valve, and they're
supposedly doing everything they can to preserve it. However with
these unthoughtful, ill-thought out update dates, they're just killing
communities. No one has an infinite amount of money to continue
supporting servers for these games while the system requirements to
run them continue to increase. As an Example, Sandy Bridge should
bring CSS back to what we were at with Episode 1. This is a year later
after the 'new' engine came out. Sure, you get the fanboys that say
"It's not like you're forced to run servers", you're right, we're not.
We do it for fun, because we enjoy the games, because we have friends
who enjoy the games. Eventually the money train and patience is going
to run out, then we're going to be where we are for L4D (Mind you it
was setup for failure). On a side note, my client is still completely
buggered from the April 14th update. I cannot seem to play for more
then 20minutes without crashing out with an invalid pointer. While
some may find this acceptable, for match play, it simply isn't.

Dedicate some time for SRCDS. While focusing on clients brings in
revenue, without servers, you're just as hooped. Better server
software makes it easier for Communities to expand, and host larger
servers which is what players enjoy. It's a push and pull system,
without servers you wont get clients. If it's cheap to throw up
servers, more clients will buy your game.
Kyle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKXp17Udsjk&hd=1