From: hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com
[mailto:hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of Jesse Molina
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 21:34
To: Half-Life dedicated Linux server mailing list
Subject: Re: [hlds_linux] Server Loop

Some feedback here for Valve:

I went through the learning process of srcds servers/tf2 about nine
months ago or so.

Because of the large number of tutorials and howtos written by very
eager novices, I was thoroughly confused on what commands needed to be
issued as arguments on the command line and which needed to be in the
server.cfg.  I had to do a lot of troubleshooting and experimentation
before I figured this out.

Clarification via official documentation as to which commands need to go
on the command line and which need to go in the server.cfg would be
good.  Also, which need a - and which need a + would be good too.

FYI, here's the command line used to start one of my testing quickplay
servers;

./srcds_linux -game tf -ip 0.0.0.0 +clientport 27041 +hostport 27141
+tv_port 27241 -steamport 26041 +replay_port 27441 -strictportbind
-pidfile /home/hlds/srcds-servers/server-tf2-PHXONE/server.pid
-maxplayers 24 +map pl_goldrush

This same command line setup is very similar for hl2dm, css, and l4d/l4d2

Notice how some are + and some are -.  There is a good reason for each,
but there is no pattern or any sense to any of it from a sysadmin
perspective.

Alfred Reynolds wrote:
Remove the map command from your config file(s)

--
# Jesse Molina
# Mail = je...@opendreams.net