You made that sound more confusing than it actually is.

+convar value
-option value

for example, +hostname hello would set the hostname CVar to "hello". ConVars
cannot be set via -option parameters.

On Wednesday, 27 July 2011, Milton Ngan <mil...@valvesoftware.com> wrote:
> I put a map into the start up configs on our Left4Dead servers. Someone
may have taken that out of context and used server.cfg instead.

> I typically put the convars (the ones with the + on the command line) into
a start up config file rather than putting them on the command line. This is
so that I can start up multiple instances of a game server from the same
directory, while still having control over each individual instance. For any
shared values these typically go into server.cfg. I use server.cfg rather
than autoexec.cfg so that we can dynamically change the values without
having to rcon into every instance of the game across the cluster in
multiple datacenters. The changes will eventually propagate as the maps
rotate, or the server is restarted.

> I agree it is confusing that there is a difference between - options and +
options. Once you figure out which ones are convars and which are not, then
it will make more sense. Order of convars on the command line is important.
Order of options typically are not. Options are used to configure the low
level parts of the engine before the convar handling is initialized. The
line can be blurry, and sometimes "helpful" code perpetuates the confusion
(e.g -ip vs +ip). These two should be functionally equivalent, but sometimes
they aren't.

hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of James Puckett
> Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 10:31 PM
> To: Half-Life dedicated Linux server mailing list
> Subject: Re: [hlds_linux] Server Loop
>
> Funny, because I never found a tutorial that mentioned adding map
parameter
> to your server.cfg.. maybe you should stop criticizing others for your
lack
> of research?
>
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 9:34 PM, Jesse Molina <je...@opendreams.net>
wrote:

>> Some feedback here for Valve:
>>
>> I went through the learning process of srcds servers/tf2 about nine
months
>> ago or so.
>>
>> Because of the large number of tutorials and howtos written by very eager
>> novices, I was thoroughly confused on what commands needed to be issued
as
>> arguments on the command line and which needed to be in the server.cfg.
>> had to do a lot of troubleshooting and experimentation before I figured
this
>> out.
>>
>> Clarification via official documentation as to which commands need to go
on
>> the command line and which need to go in the server.cfg would be good.
>>  Also, which need a - and which need a + would be good too.
>>
>> FYI, here's the command line used to start one of my testing quickplay
>> servers;
>>
>> ./srcds_linux -game tf -ip 0.0.0.0 +clientport 27041 +hostport 27141
>> +tv_port 27241 -steamport 26041 +replay_port 27441 -strictportbind
-pidfile
>> /home/hlds/srcds-servers/**server-tf2-PHXONE/server.pid -maxplayers 24
>> +map pl_goldrush
>>
>> This same command line setup is very similar for hl2dm, css, and l4d/l4d2
>>
>> Notice how some are + and some are -.  There is a good reason for each,
but
>> there is no pattern or any sense to any of it from a sysadmin
perspective.

>> Alfred Reynolds wrote:
>>
>>> Remove the map command from your config file(s)
>>>

>> --
>> # Jesse Molina
>> # Mail = je...@opendreams.net
>> # Page = page-je...@opendreams.net