To be fair, Valve is appealing to different userbases with diffrent games.
Sure there is a lot of overlaps as I play both Dota, TF2, L4D and even dip
into Counter-strike now and then (still looking forward to CS:GO since it
seems to breathe some fresh air into the CS series). If something is left
into a game, Valve left it in there for a good reason (last hits/denials in
Dota2... while might seem frustating to newbies, exists to make early game
a bit more intresting within Dota).

Personally I think punishing deaths can make the game more exciting (more
reason to try to stay alive rather than randomly rambo'ing! And is also
part why some people like myself enjoy roguelike games with permadeath like
Nethack (if your charcther dies, it's dead, no reloads!). Though it might
be noted that what worked for one game (Counter-strike) didn't work as well
for another game (Arena mode in TF2... fell out out of userbase favor
quickly).