 From: dan <needa...@ntlworld.com>
To: Collin Howard <my_azz...@yahoo.com>; Half-Life dedicated Linux server
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2012 7:45:30 AM
Subject: Re: [hlds_linux] Running a CS:GO Dedi Server

On 16/04/2012 09:57, Collin Howard wrote:
> Agree with ics here. I know people who received beta keys from valve and have
> no interest in it or are not even remotely interested in playing it. The
> better way to approach this beta testing phase is to actually give it to
> communities that have active CS:S or 1.6 servers so we can test running
> dedicated servers and even hand out beta keys to interested members of our
> communities instead of valve blindly giving 2000 keys to random people. In
> the end its communities that keep the games alive, not so much the big
> GSP's(game server providers). They are just sellers, we are the ones who keep
> players interested!

Didn't they give the first 7000+ keys to the most active CS/CS:S players?
The others weren't blindly given, you had to complete a survey.
They said they would be distributing keys to " through prominent Counter-Strike
community sites which will be giving them out as contests, promotions and
giveaways"

But none of those really has anything to do with running servers.
Why do you have to "test running dedicated servers" there's not a great deal to
it.

You can probably get a key by trading for the invite on reddit. That's how I
got Dota 2, I just swapped the stuff I won in the xmas sale and extra copies I
had from buying a 4-pack.

The numbers in the beta will grow, and eventually it'll be released.
-- Dan