Here are some answers to questions regarding hosting MvM servers:

* Players can join your server through any means they can join PvP games: the
server browser, ad hoc joins, or the new matchmaking system (quickplay beta).
* To accept matchmaking traffic, you must select which sort of traffic you
want.  (Regular PvP traffic or MvM traffic.)  Set "tf_mm_servermode 2" to be
placed in the MvM pool.
* For MvM matchmaking, if 6 players are sent to your server to start a new
game, it will switch to whatever map the players selected.
* You will need a TF gameserver account to accept matchmaking traffic.
* You can switch the server in and out of any matchmaking mode pool or back to
any regular game mode at any time.
* The CPU usage for a 6 player MvM game is about the same as for a regular TF
server.  (Yep, this mode requires significantly more CPU cycles per player than
the PvP mode, that's an unfortunate fact.)
Given the surge of players that comes with any major release, and the player /
server ratio of this game mode, the demand for MvM servers will probably be
high.  We expect that a large number of players will want to try out the new
mode, so we will be converting most of our servers to host MvM, and then adjust
the allocation based on what players are playing.

I, for one, DO NOT welcome our new robot overlords!

- Fletch