From: hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com
[mailto:hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of Fletcher
Dunn
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 1:40 AM
To: Half-Life dedicated Linux server mailing list
(hlds_linux@list.valvesoftware.com); Half-Life dedicated Win32 server
Subject: [hlds_linux] TF MvM hosting questions

Here are some answers to questions regarding hosting MvM servers:

* Players can join your server through any means they can join PvP games:
the server browser, ad hoc joins, or the new matchmaking system (quickplay
beta).
* To accept matchmaking traffic, you must select which sort of traffic you
want.  (Regular PvP traffic or MvM traffic.)  Set "tf_mm_servermode 2" to be
placed in the MvM pool.
* For MvM matchmaking, if 6 players are sent to your server to start a new
game, it will switch to whatever map the players selected.
* You will need a TF gameserver account to accept matchmaking traffic.
* You can switch the server in and out of any matchmaking mode pool or back
to any regular game mode at any time.
* The CPU usage for a 6 player MvM game is about the same as for a regular
TF server.  (Yep, this mode requires significantly more CPU cycles per
player than the PvP mode, that's an unfortunate fact.) Given the surge of
players that comes with any major release, and the player / server ratio of
this game mode, the demand for MvM servers will probably be high.  We expect
that a large number of players will want to try out the new mode, so we will
be converting most of our servers to host MvM, and then adjust the
allocation based on what players are playing.

I, for one, DO NOT welcome our new robot overlords!

- Fletch