I was actually not comfortable for you renaming or repacking any maps that someone else has done. That can be a problem. I also try to avoid map that isn't "complete". But you might end up having a map with the same name that already might exist later. So your server could have an older version and the map creator released newer version with same name as the one you packed is.

I know some people have renamed maps such as cp_mapname_beta3 to cp_mapname, thus making a filename already used and the author if the map, if he or she isn't aware of such file, there will be conflicts. The chance is minimal but might happen.

-ics

1nsane kirjoitti:
I don't know where you got the the idea that I was making non working
files. If anything I do the opposite. Try reading it again.

I said that if a map file has a bunch of other files with it (and sometimes
doesn't even come with a .res file) I would instead 'remake' it by having
all those files inside the single .bsp. And the renaming is done so we
don't end up with "MAPNAME.bsp differs from servers". Perhaps you think
that's fine but I find it annoying. Different map versions with the same
name that block clients from joining servers just should not happen.

If you make any changes to the map file (patch files excluded) it needs to
be renamed. No way around it.

Most of the time I would not bother doing this though. If a map comes with
a bunch of files all over the place it's probably not worth it.