The srcds_run script is still using the HLDSUpdateTool when using the
-autoupdate switch (the script wasn't updated at all as far as I can tell).
I took the liberty to merge the current TF2 SteamPipe srcds_run with the
provided L4D2 srcds_run and came up with this for the time being:
https://gist.github.com/dirkd/e5518c09dc22f45b2a53

SteamCMD also fetches all available executables (for Linux, Windows and
OSX) and even hl2.sh and some icon files when updating AppID 222860.
Is this intended or just a problem with the appinfo metadata, because
appinfo.vdf seems to contain separate content configurations for Windows
and Linux (SubAppIDs 222862 & 22863) like it does for TF2 which doesn't
show this behavior?