It's been like that for a while now. Atleast when it comes to the master
server and the ingame server browser. (not the favorites tab, not the steam
browser).

The problem is the game is free, you can make any account you want and then
use third party clients or even the normal text client to connect to a
server and inflate the counts.

Now if you make your own "third party" client then you can automate this.

As such a more active role needs to be taken when dealing with fake
players. Valve could make better use of the ingame reporting tool as well
as the emails admins send with reports.