On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 9:07 PM, dan <needa...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Well I saw one cheater today playing sniper, in several hours of playing
> TF2.
> If others were cheating they weren't doing it well enough to actually make
> a notable difference.
>
> If someone's worse than me with his cheats I'm not going to notice.

Ah! Cheating is definitely manageable, although a huge pain because VAC
doesn't fundamentally work. It's the griefers, and the child predators
(seriously, there is a near alarming amount) that I'm looking to keep
banned. As one community's server is on the brink of failure, a bunch of
old troublemakers ban evaded using this to "come back". Unfortunately they
sprinted ahead and hit triggers early, purposely killing their teammates,
so a few were banned. A few were given another chance, which I guess is a
positive from the regression?

Not that I'm advocating this or anything, but you can create a new account,
then join any MP server on Steam and cause as much trouble all you like.
This includes L4D2, CS:GO, and every other game that costs money which used
to raise the bar for kids. To me, this seems very broken, and unintended.
While I'm sure there's a way to filter anyone using Family Sharing, I
really don't want to go down that road as it's still going to be broken for
others.

> It's like spam, if someone has an "easy fix" they probably don't
understand the problem deeply enough.

In this case, it really is that easy. There's always those who can get
around it, and don't get me wrong, the implementation is equally strong as
it is weak. As to why this existing infrastructure isn't exposed to servers
is completely beyond me. Leveraging the existing Steam Guard implementation
seems to be an easy way to actually start fixing this in TF. I wish you ran
servers so you'd at least know where I'm coming from.

Idling just makes the community weaker, and the unintended consequence of
Family Sharing unfortunately has done just that,
Kyle.