This really isn't similar to the competitive scene at all.

When TF2 was released, *absolutely nobody *bought the game expecting Valve
to prop up the competitive scene like they are doing with Dota2. People who
wanted to host their own competitive leagues were free to do so with 0
interference (unlike community servers) from Valve , and Valve even added
models for UGC and ETF2L. So I don't see how you could have rightfully
demanded competitive matchmaking to be made.

However, I am fairly sure that most people who bought TF2 expected to be
able to join or host community servers if they ever wanted to and not
thrown in a ghetto devoid of new players and stuffed in a half-size button
in the middle of the screen. This was the expectation given how Half-Life,
CS:S, and Gmod were, and they purposefully destroyed this feature of the
game.

So there is a big difference between the comp scene expecting Valve to add
a new feature that never existed and no one ever expected, and the
community scene asking Valve to add a feature back that was there at the
beginning of the game. So, I really don't see how you can even tell us to
be patient knowing this difference, and the fact that it has already been 2
years, and countless communities that took 5+ years to build up have
permanently died and will never come back even if the quickplay change was
reversed today.

I will reserve my optimism for that tweet when I actually see what the
update is. It is way too vague and it will probably be another failure that
no one uses like the "quicklist". Why do they not even say what it is when
they've spilled the beans on competitive matchmaking over the years?