In the past, i have laid a foundation brush at roughly the angle i desire
(say 30deg or 65deg) and then to 'marry' everything together i use a
displacement laid on top (again at the same angle of the foundation) and
adjust the disp to cover over the cracks.

remember, displacements do not seal the void so always use a normal
foundation brush.

hope that helps