On December 8, 2010 06:02:50 pm Domizio Demichelis wrote:
> Henry,
> 
> 1. There is quite a few overlapping pages, so the resulting pages will not
> be the sum of the books (at least in theory). Anyway, what is a "too big"
> book? You will not have to carry it phisically, and even if you would, you
> would have to carry 2 books however. I really don't see any advantage
> splitting the pages into 2 documents instead of one: just disadvantages.
>

I know that there is some overlap, which is why I estimated 500, not 600.  

As for what is too big:  I had been thinking that over 300 pages is starting 
to get daunting.  But then, my copy of "Agile Development with Rails" is 558 
pages and my copy of Programming Ruby is 830 pages; other technical books seem 
to be in the same range.  So, I may have miscalculated and 500 is not too big. 


> 2. Two books with no criterion distinguishing them, is a pain in the neck
> when you have to search some reference: for the Murphy law, what you are
> searching will be always in the second one you search. :-) Besides, which
> one is what you have to start with if you are n00b?
> 

For  a Noob, I would recommend to start with Tom Locke's screencast, followed 
by the Agility tutorial:-)  Then Rapid Rails with Hobo, and Hobo at Work last.  

I have always thought of Rapid Rails with Hobo as a tutorial and recipe book, 
while Hobo at Work as a reference manual.  I almost never refer to Rapid Rails 
with Hobo (I prefer cookbook.hobocentral.net) and regularly refer to Hobo at 
Work.  So, maybe I am getting subjected to Murphy's Law between the website 
and Hobo at Work, but rarely between the two books.  I guess other people are 
having different experiences.

> 3. IMHO more books don't look better from an advertising point of view. I
> lead an advertising agency for 8 years and I learned that you better focus
> on one single target to avoid dispersion. If there aren't "The Holy Bible"
> and "The Holy Bilble under the Hood"... it has to be for some good reason
> 

If you put the two books together, then you had better group the chapters in 
to different sections.  For example the Agile Web Development with Rails has 
four four sections --- "Getting Started", "Building an Application", "The 
Rails Framework" and "Appendices" --- which really is two books bundled into 
one.  But, I guess this argues your point:-)  However, I sometimes get annoyed 
wading through the search hits in the non-reference part of the book before I 
get to the reference parts I wanted to focus on.

As for the advertising side of it, I would like to find some measure to show 
the richness of Hobo.  I was thinking that the number of books produced by the 
core team would be such a measure.  What other measure can we use (other than 
number of lines of code not written)?

Cheers,
Henry
 

> :-)
> 
> ciao
> dd
> 
> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Henry Baragar
> <[email protected]
> 
> > wrote:
> >  I'm OK with leaving them a separate books. One is 236 pages, the other
> >  is
> > 
> > 330 page. A combined book would be at least 500 pages, which too big.
> > Plus, more books looks better from an advertising point of view.
> > 
> > Henry
> > 
> > On December 7, 2010 04:47:02 pm Owen Dall wrote:
> > > One was for tutorials and the other for reference, for looking "Under
> > > the
> > > 
> > > Hood" :-)
> > > 
> > > 
> > > 
> > > At the beginning there was one book, with a single chapter at the end
> > > 
> > > containing all of what now comprises "Hobo at Work".
> > > 
> > > 
> > > 
> > > I am all for merging them again, since we are no longer moving from Mac
> > > 
> > > Pages to Mac Word 2008, and then Word 2007. :-)
> > > 
> > > 
> > > 
> > > -Owen
> > 
> > --
> > 
> > Henry Baragar
> > 
> > Instantiated Software
> > 
> >  --
> > 
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> > "Hobo Users" group.
> > To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> > [email protected]<hobousers%2bunsubscr...@googlegrou
> > ps.com> .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> > http://groups.google.com/group/hobousers?hl=en.

-- 
Henry Baragar
Instantiated Software

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Hobo 
Users" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/hobousers?hl=en.

Reply via email to