On 6/12/2012 1:03 AM, Michael Norrish wrote:
> On 12/06/12 11:45, gottfried.bar...@gmx.com wrote:

> I hope the menus in Emacs are some help. The HOL menu captures most of
> the emacs mode's functionality.

They definitely look good to me. The way I was going to do things, using
an external editor and "use", there wasn't going to be a lot of
"interactive proving" in it, or it was going to be a hassle to do.

>> But I may try out HOL4 under Linux someday for the Poly/ML speed.
>
> One option I've considered is the development of a standard virtualbox
> image of (Linux + Poly + HOL) that Windows users could use from within
> Windows.
>
> Michael

I have VirtualBox installed (https://www.virtualbox.org/), and I have an
installation of Linux that I could fire up, but I don't like becoming
dependent on Linux applications.

One major issue for me is the problem of editing the same file on
Windows and Linux at the same time. I can't drag and drop files into
Linux applications, and files don't always update correctly between the
Windows and Linux applications.

With the GNU Emacs I installed today, I can drag files into it. There's
no integration problem with all the other Windows editors and document
processing programs that I use.

There's Cygwin. The Isabelle group somehow makes that work with Poly/ML.
A huge part of why Cygwin is a good solution, though, is the jEdit
interface.

As far as the X-windows part of Cygwin, there's something messed up
about that. The Emacs I'm using looks much better than the Cygwin
XEmacs. With Cygwin, you have to start the X-windows console, and then
you start XEmacs, and it's not the latest version, so a lot of Emacs
scripts don't work good.

If you have a Windows installation of something that installs fairly
easily, then it lowers the requirements. But if there's multiple
installations of software, then lots of people won't want to go through
the hassles of dealing with another operating system.

Regards,
GB