Freek, thanks for spotting my arithmetic error, and that was clever of you to
figure out where the smaller MESON number for the miz3 proof came from.  I'd
like your opinion on some of the cool stuff I learned from Michael, Ramana,
Cris and Rob:

1) Miz3 is definitely more powerful than Mizar, and miz3 can even be used as a
1-line proof theorem-prover, although it does not seem to be very efficient.

2) Given a statement
x by th1, th2, ...;
miz3 tries to construct (using MESON among other things) an FOL proof of the
implication
th1 /\ th2 /\ th3 ... ==> x
Nothing limits the power of miz3 to prove such statements other than
"heuristics", not only of MESON but because of
timeouts and e.g. depth limitations imposed.

3) This to-me unexpected power of miz3 shouldn't affect any plans to use miz3
in education, e.g. my plans to use miz3 in high school Geometry courses.  It's
like converse of Jesus's slogan ``Ask and you shall receive.''  Miz3 won't do
what you don't ask it to do!  If the theorem is an implication, and you ask
miz3 to prove the statement
qed by antecedents`;;
it may do so, and we've seen interesting example here recently.  If the user
only uses miz3, as I do, to justify statements that appear obvious to them,
then I think miz3 is fine.  The more-or-less unlimited MESON power should allow
miz3 to, in a reasonable time, to prove what looks obvious to us. There's no
precise mathematical meaning of obvious.  If someone codes up a miz3 proof that
works, and we don't understand their proof, we can ask them for more details,
just like we'd ask a human for more details.  The only difference is that now
we can ask the human miz3-user to code up the extra details, and we can see
that miz3 justified these as well.    I found it very illuminating that when I
coded up in miz3 Rob's proof of the logic puzzle, the MESON "solved at" number
was far lower than 23088:
0..0..1..3..6..solved at 13

There's a question that nobody seemed to know the answer to, but I hope you do.
 Does miz3 do anything else to limit its power other than with the variable
timeout, which you explained to me how to change long ago?   Does miz3 impose
any e.g. any depth limitations on MESON?

--
Best,
Bill