the intuition is just in a little diagram with 4 points and lots of
   edges labelled P and Q.

Thanks, Rob, and I think I understand now!  You solved Los's Logic problem
because you had the courage to try a bold frontal attack, while I floundered
for the lack of some cool insight.  This is an important point, as we're
interested in how smart MESON is.  Here's how I think your bold frontal attack
must have gone.  Let's change the symbols P & Q to ~ and <.  So we know that
~ is symmetric and transitive  (~symm, ~trans)
< is transitive    (<trans)
forall x y. x ~ y or x < y      (~union<)
We're trying to prove
(forall x y. x ~ y) or (forall x y. x < y)
So we have to negate one of these two and prove the other.  You got both proofs
to work, I believe, so let's negate the ~ one.  So we'll assume that
there exists a b such that a !~ b  (i.e. a !~ b is false).
We must prove forall x y. x < y.

So choose x y, and let's take diagrams of involving the points a, b, x & y for
both ~ and <.  We'll have an arrow from one point to another if there's a
relation.  With 4 points, there are 4^4 = 256 possible diagrams for each
relation, and so 256^2 = 65536 total possibilities.  We don't want to look at
all 65,536!  Of course we know that
a !~ b     by assumption
b !~ a     by ~symm
a < b and b < a     by ~union<.
So in each diagram there are really only 3*3*4*4 = 144 possibilities, so we
have 20,736 total possibilities.  That's still way too many.  I've drawn two
diagrams with 4 points in each, connected by 6 lines.  In the < picture I have
2 arrowheads to  indicate arrows a -> b and b -> a.  In the ~ picture I have 2
little x's marked in to indicate there is no arrow from a -> b or b -> a.

OK, staring at the two diagrams I see nothing, so I'll look at two triangles
instead, with 3 points a, b & x.  I count a mere 144 = (2*2*3)^2 possibilities
for the two diagrams.  I don't want to check them all, though.  I think it's
quite possible that our bold explorer would then bifurcate on the question of
a ~ x.
Let's look at the two cases:

a ~ x     by assumption
x ~ a     by ~symm
b !~ x and x !~ b     by ~symm, ~trans, since a !~ b and b !~ a
b < x and x < b     by ~union<
a < x and x < a     by <trans, since a < b and b < a.

Let's look at the other case:

a !~ x     by assumption
x !~ a     by ~symm
a < x and x < a     by ~union<
b < x and x < b     by <trans, since a < b and b < a.

Whuddya know!  We got the same result both ways!  Thus we've proved that

Lemma: forall x. a < x and x < a and b < x and x < b

I think that's easier to see if you draw the 4 triangles.  Now it's all
downhill.

Choose x and y.  Then
a < b and b < a     by assumption
x < a and a < y     by Lemma
x < y     by <trans
QED

I think I showed that what MESON proved, a bold explorer could have replicated
without any particular insight.  Congratulations for actually doing this!

--
Best,
Bill