Hi Bill,

>Can you jump into the discussion Michael and I were having
>about whether miz3 is intentionally weakened?  Michael seems
>to think yes, I think no, but I wonder what effect the MESON
>depth limit of 50 has, or the fact that MESON is just FOL
>and not HOL.

Ah no, there were no deep thoughts behind the choice of "by"
in miz3.  I just chose the most trivial option available
(well, also I wanted it to be at least as strong as the
real Mizar "by"...  which it isn't, because you lack the
properties and requirements.)

As I wrote before, I think the thing actually is "bad",
because often you can justify a proof step with a REWRITE_TAC
that only does a very small number of rewrites, but not
with the default "by".  That feels very strange.

Implementing a better "by" for miz3 is a nice project to
think about, but it's not on the top of the stack of things
I'm currently considering doing.

Freek