Thanks, Michael, I'll try out your cong trick.  Your type_of `MAP`;; was plenty
illuminating, that's how I figured out what polymorphism meant, with the Scheme
analogy, but I'm confused.  On p 350 of
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~jrh13/hol-light/reference.pdf
it explains lower-case map:
map : ('a -> 'b) -> 'a list -> 'b list
Are you saying this is an Ocaml function, and not something we can use in HOL
Light?  A few pages later is
MAP_EVERY : ('a -> tactic) -> 'a list -> tactic
That certainly sounds like HOL Light.  There is no MAP in reference.pdf.  This
brings up a question Colin Rowat was asking earlier: if you define various
vector-related functions in HOL Light (like the maximum of a vector, or the dot
product of two vectors...), how can you check if your code is working?  Is
there some cooperation between ML and HOL that I'm missing?  Obviously HOL is
coded up in ML, but are you supposed to mix freely ML and HOL code somehow?

--
Best,
Bill