Bill Richter <rich...@math.northwestern.edu>:

> Vincent, you gave me a nice exercise which I'll try to work, but it dawned on
> me that we can't use that unless we permanently change the parser.  E.g.
> every time I use miz3, I have to change the parser for that entire HOL Light
> session.  The same thing goes for your nice hack of quotexpander: it hold for
> the entire HOL Light session.  Is that right?  In that case, I think it would
> not be a good idea to install that in HOL Light, I think, as the benefit so
> far (improving case & consider a bit) is too low.  I think the benefit of
> changing the parser permanently would be high enough if we could always infer
> the type of a variable in the scope of a variable binding.

Hi Bill,

the change is very small actually. The only non backward compatible change is
that every usual term starting with ";" (or whatever other symbol that you
decide to use) will not be parsed as it would have been before the change. But
the chances that a usual HOL term starts with ";" is extremely low (actually I
would even not be surprised if it did not parse at all) so you are not losing a
lot if any. Now we said that ";" is a bad choice because miz3 already uses it,
but many other symbols would have this property, " ' " for instance or the
ending " . ".

V.