Konrad and Rob have already answered Bill very thoroughly, but I'll add
two additional comments:

 1. I guess Bill was dicombobulated by the "..._AX" name, which does
    suggest an axiom. This name is for historical reasons and compatibility
    with other HOLs. BOOL_CASES_AX was traditionally a true axiom in HOL
    from the early days, and probably still is in some other versions.

 2. The argument formerly used a direct port of the original Diaconescu
    proof as presented in Beeson's "Foundations of Constructive Mathematics".
    But in July 2009 I changed it to a somewhat optimized variant shown to
    me by Mark Adams. This is noted in the CHANGES file but not in the
    comments (I'll fix that).

John.