On 10/7/11 2:18 PM, Ole Troan wrote:
I think it's
reasonable to write to stable storage whenever you configure a new
prefix or change an existing prefix (but not if you simply refresh it).
If the router comes back up and nobody has the prefix, it would simply
claim it back. If someone else has it, it would have to just form a new
one using loop detection.

In your view, if there is a single prefix assigned to the home by the ISP, and
there are three routers connected to a particular link in the home, would each
of those three routers assign a different prefix to the link?

Am I missing something?

see the zospf draft. the DR of the link will assign the prefix for the link.
the BDR should also store that chosen prefix into stable storage. of course if
you power off both the DR and the BDR and power up a new 3rd router, the link
will get a new prefix.

The zospf draft (see section 3.6) declares a conflict if two routers attached to the same link pick the same IP subnet prefix for that link. That doesn't seem what we want.

And zospf doesn't talk about using stable storage; doesn't seem to have any notion of providing stable prefixes assigned to the links.

Thus this problem remains to be solved AFAICT.

I think we first need to agree on what we think are the requirements on prefix stability. What if one of the routers attached to the link fails and is replaced by a different router?
What if a link partitions? And later merges?
What the user intentionally splits (partitions) a link (e.g., to create a separate link for the teenage game room); should the network automatically pick a new prefix for that new link? (How does that interact with the prefix being in stable storage on the router.)

One thing to keep in mind as we think about these requirements is that if the user has created a bridged Ethernet with no routers, all of the above will work naturally; might take seconds to relearn when the topology changes but there is no manual intervention needed.
Is that the goal for this prefix assignment?

Who is working on the requirements document? ;-)

   Erik