    Victor> These devices (in such operating modes) are however not
    Victor> likely to participate in a home network (as the gateway
    Victor> device or a router) and it's very unlikely to be the head of
    Victor> home network.

I STRONGLY DISAGREE.

Not only will smartphones be pressed into use whenever the primary ISP
is down (I've done this three times in 18 months since I got a
smartphone), but whenever there is an ad-hoc gathering of people who
need network, they will insist that their smartphones be smart.

I expect my smartphone to provide network to my Personal Area Network
(whether via Bluetooth PAN or Zigbee), and I further expect that PAN to
have an alternate exit via my HAN.

I want to further point out that 3GPP and the mobile operators are no
longer in control of what phones do.  They are network devices.  The
only thing they can control is the protocol on the wire, and if they
piss of the consumer, the consumer will simply tunnel.

It's good that 3G will have PD in the future.
I know that new versions of SIXXS AICCU now include it.

] m...@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
                       then sign the petition.