In message <cabb3019.101ff%victor.kuarsi...@gmail.com>
Victor Kuarsingh writes:

> Mark,
>
> A few points on this topic.
>
> As noted, the Cell system will have PD capabilities until a future 3GPP
> release (Rel-10) as noted.  Although, even when the functionality is in
> place (generally), small devices like Smartphone and the mini gateways
> (3G/LTE devices which allow for 4-5 hosts to attached to Cell system) -
> PDs may not be used.
>
> Many of these devices (I.e in the case of the smartphone) have modes of
> operation where they "tether", which turns them into a mini gateway.  They
> are not likely to be be full blown gateways equivalent to what you see
> common CPEs.
>
> In the IPv4 case, these devices "NAT" the IPv4 private addresses used by
> hosts behind the device to the network assigned address.  In the case of
> IPv6, it will have access to the network assigned ::/64.  PCs (maybe other
> devices) behind such devices will need access to the IPv6 network, but may
> not have access to PD space.  This was one of the specific use cases I was
> eluding to before.
>
> These devices (in such operating modes) are however not likely to
> participate in a home network (as the gateway device or a router) and it's
> very unlikely to be the head of home network.
>
> With this explanation, I am not sure if this should/would be considered as
> such in HomeNet.  These devices technically become gateways/bridges to the
> Internet.  And the hosts that use them are often the same type of devices
> which connect to common home networks.
>
> Regards,
>
> Victor K

Victor,

And if I'm at home with WiFi at home and my laptop plugged into the
Internet and plug in the USB (or other tether) to update my contacts
list on the phone, because its easier/faster, we have the situation
described, even though the intent was not to use the phone as an IP
gateway.

This gets back to users plugging things in in seemingly arbitrary way
that made sense to them at the time for some reason.

Curtis