On Nov 15, 2011, at 1:20 PM, Joe Touch <to...@isi.edu> wrote:
> I think we're thinking the phone is the router (ala tethering). In that case,
> there needs to be a way to plug the USB stick into the phone, which can't
> happen (since the phone draws power off the USB, rather than delivering it).
> If the USB were self-powered, it *might* work, but I've never seen such a
> thing.

That would be pretty cool, but that's not what I'm talking about.   The reason
we are not saying "thumb drive" is because it may not be the right medium of
exchange.   It's a good example of a viable medium of exchange, but it's
certainly not the only possible one.   I would expect each device to have a
copy of the file that's on the thumb drive.   If your device is not a USB host,
you would plug it into a device that is a USB host, and the file exchange would
proceed.

It's also possible that it might make sense to use some other medium of
exchange that's not USB at all.   For example, routers with ethernet ports can
simply be connected together, and there you have a physical link.   But for a
wireless device with no ethernet ports, that's not an option.