In message <4ec1f689.9010...@isi.edu>, Joe Touch writes:

> On 11/14/2011 9:16 PM, Ted Lemon wrote:
> > On Nov 15, 2011, at 12:46 PM, "Stephen [kiwin] Palm"<p...@broadcom.com>
> > wrote:
> >> You miss the point: while phones certainly do have usb device capability -
> >> today they are
> not have host and today they do not accept the A connector - so they cannot
> accept a standard
>  usb thumb drive - and market forces will keep it that way.
> >
> > No I didn't miss the point, please don't assume I am stupid. Your
> > phone has a USB device. Therefore there is a physical medium of exchange
> > for the file we are talking about. True, the medium of exchange is not a
> > thumb drive, but it could be for example that you plug your phone *in*
> > to your router, or something. We are talking about what the file would
> > look like, not how the devices are connected.
>
> I see - you are presuming the phone acts as the thumb drive.
>
> I think we're thinking the phone is the router (ala tethering). In that
> case, there needs to be a way to plug the USB stick into the phone,
> which can't happen (since the phone draws power off the USB, rather than
> delivering it). If the USB were self-powered, it *might* work, but I've
> never seen such a thing.
>
> Joe

It really doesn't matter what it is.

A MicroSD card would be fine for this.  Lots of cell phones already
have MicroSD slots.  The MicroSD card can be put in a USB card
reader for USB based machines possibly using a SD card adaptor.  A
MicroSD card can be put in a SD card adaptor for SD based devices.

Pop the existing card out of the phone.  Plug it into a card reader
and that into the router.  The router updates the key ring.  You
plug the SD card back into the phone and the phone and router can
now play.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC