In message <50184fa8.1070...@mtcc.com>, Michael Thomas writes:
> >      Ted> You secondary a zone so that the contents of the zone will be
> >      Ted> there when a query happens, but why would a query happen if the
> >      Ted> CPE device isn't reachable?  What would trigger that query?
> >      Ted> So I think you can get away with _not_ secondarying the zone.
> >      Ted> But if you do want to secondary it, why would the ISP be
> >      Ted> responsible for that?   Presumably the customer is pretty
> >      Ted> savvy; a secondary for their reverse tree would just be another
> >      Ted> service they'd want to buy or set up, and the ISP could wash
> >      Ted> their hands of it or sell it, whichever they chose.
> >
> > My suggestion is that the ISP secondary the zone from the CPE, but
> > actually advertise only their server in the NS delegation.  (The CPE
> > remains a stealth primary)
>
> Do you mean (in bind parlance at least) the CPE is the master, and the
> ISP is the slave even though it's authoritative?

All listed nameservers for a zone are presumed to be authoritative
for the zone.  slave/master (primary/secondary) are only relevent
w.r.t. the zone transfer graph between these servers and where
update requests are forwarded to.

> Mike
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: ma...@isc.org