On Aug 5, 2012, at 11:28 PM, Evan Hunt wrote:
> I was speaking for myself and I believe the issue is in flux; please
> don't take it as a "conclusion". :)

Fair enough.  :)

> IMHO .<hexidecimal-gibberish> is also a bad solution.

Yes, definitely.   If that gibberish is ever visible to the user, we've done it
wrong.

> It's, at least
> potentially, a worse one: you buy a new router, and suddenly your devices
> all have new names and your bookmarks don't work.  To make them work again,
> you have to remember the hexidecimal-gibberish that was assigned by your
> previous router and configure it to use the same one.  Ugly.

Even forgetting the hexadecimal gibberish, if there is any sort of local name
that is based on the router, switching routers is always going to be ugly.
Ideally we want the solution to be tied to something "in the cloud" so that the
replacement router can restore its brains.

> I'd love to hear the plan.

For geeks, you register a domain, or pay a small monthly fee for a subdomain of
something like dyndns.org.   Maybe the brains for your router live there too,
so that if you replace it, you can just punch in your domain, and it figures
out the rest.   This works for geeks; everyone else uses friendly names
presented in a UI.

Of course, I also think that ULAs ought to be allocated rather than guessed at,
which I gather is not a popular position.