On Aug 5, 2012, at 10:06 PM, Evan Hunt wrote:
> (For the record, though I'm open to being convinced otherwise,
> my current preference is for a reserved generic namespace such
> as ".local" and/or ".sitelocal", and *not* for ULA-style domains.)

i wasn't able to participate in this discussion because I had other business
during homenet, but I'm a bit frustrated by this conclusion.   Domains like
.local seem like a good idea to geeks like us, but how many regular users ever
use them?   How many have a mental model of how naming works that would allow
these domains to function for them?

IMHO, we shouldn't promote bad solutions, and .local is a bad solution.
Whether we come up with some way to leverage a ULA to present things sensibly
in some UI is another question, but if we are trying to come up with a solution
for geeks, why not come up with a _real_ solution, instead of the .local hack?